Wednesday, June 13, 2018

What dish did Johnson bring to the dinner party?

Here are some key issues from our class discussion on the Johnson Text:

We are all part of the problem, so we can all be part of the solution. (vii)

We need to use words like racism, sexism, privilege...  SAY THE WORDS.

When we say the words, we acknowledge that we understand power.

"The bottom line is that a trouble we can't talk about it a trouble we can't do anything about..." (13)


What about the concrete solutions???
WORDS:
BRING DOMINANT GROUPS INTO CONVERSATION: (10-11)

Inclusiveness, tolerance, etc are words that are dismissed by him.
Johnson would say it is too safe. 

"Use the tools without being swallowed up in a sea of guilt or blame or rushing into denial and angry self defense..." (11)

Introduction: (vii)

  • RECOGNIZE
  • SEE COMPLICITY
  • IDENTIFY THE ACTION 


Difference is not the problem... (16)

We don't fear what we don't know... We fear what we think we do know. (3)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lesley,

    I was able to post a link in my blog; however, I am not seeing it when I go back to check. Will you be able to sit with me on Wednesday to work with me on this issue? In the meantime, I will continue to try on my own...

    ReplyDelete